Tuesday, August 7, 2018

August 7th, 2018

So my mom asked me to return a book to CoD for my brother last week and I said yes, thinking nothing of it. I ended up going yesterday evening after work, and since then I just cannot stop thinking about it. 

When I pulled up to that building yesterday I immediately got super nostalgic. I was inside for maybe five minutes tops, but just that short walk through a few of the hallways to the bookstore brought back so many memories. 

Have you ever visited a place from your childhood, or that you used to go to all the time but no longer do? Isn’t it so interesting what things you remember just by seeing, hearing, or smelling something? 

What I find interesting is that this school, of all places, is the place that got me feeling so nostalgic and sentimental. I have visited other places from my childhood before and never felt so reminiscent. I realized as I was strolling back out to my car in the parking lot, that the reason I was so attached to CoD and the memories associated with it is because that’s where I met Mike. 

If I never went to that school, I never would’ve met my soon-to-be husband. I never would’ve shared in all those laughs, or formed such an amazing friendship (that later set the foundation for a beautiful relationship). I don’t remember CoD for the teachers or the classrooms or the lessons taught, I remember it for the wonderful man that I met and had so much fun with all those years. The only reason I enjoyed going to school in the first place was because I got to see Mike each day. I had never had such a genuine friend before. He honestly made those few years in that building worthwhile. 

One day, long from now, if one of my children ever end up deciding to go to CoD for college (keeping in mind that hopefully the place will still be up and running), I know I for certain will get misty again as I stroll through those halls with my child as they begin their new journey there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment